Occupational marks represent the effects of a repeated particular activity on a worker’s, musician’s or sportsperson’s skin. They are many and varied. They include (but are by no means limited to) :
• Surfer’s Nodules (Surfers)
• Cauliflower Ear (Boxers)
• Jazz Ballet Bottom (Dancers)
• Lichenification of the Elbows (Bank workers)
• Alopecia from Repeated Spinning on the Head (Breakdancers)
• Perioral lip dermatitis (Recorder players)
BONUS Activity : Do you have an occupational mark (not listed above)? Let us know.
Photo shows Synchronised Surfing, Manly beach, New South Wales,1938-46. Surfer’s Nodules status unknown.